Stop Going to Church Week 1
Pastor Kris Freeman
Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018
Scripture: Psalm 92:12-15 (NLT)
Psalm 92:12-15 New Living Translation (NLT)
12 But the godly will flourish like palm trees and grow strong like the cedars of Lebanon. 13 For they are transplanted to the Lord’s own house. They flourish in the courts of our God. 14 Even in old age they will still produce fruit; they will remain vital and green. 15 They will declare, “The Lord is just! He is my rock! There is no evil in him!”
God’s highest calling for you was never intended to be just going to church.
A seed can only grow if it’s planted.
“Going to church” is not the same as being planted.
So many people appear to be healthy, but their roots are shallow.
– Flourishing – yet spiritually dry
– Thriving – yet emotionally withering
– Connected – yet relationally barren
– Prospering – yet financially stressed
– Fulfilled – yet searching for something that matters
Two trees listed in this scripture – cedar and palm.
– Cedar – durable, attractive, pleasant aroma
– Palm – symbol of thriving and victory
– Both are evergreens – produce life year-round
What does a seed need to grow and flourish?
- Soil – your heart
- Light – your discipleship
- Water – your relationship with Jesus
- Temperature – your fire of the Holy Spirit
- Time – your investment/serving
When you are planted:
- Your roots grow deep.
Jeremiah 17:8a (NLT)
They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought.
The Redwood National Park – the largest living thing on earth is 30-stories tall with three-story width. The lateral roots go 150 feet out from the trunk – the trees literally hold each other up.
The reason church works is because we need each other. The only one who wants you to believe you don’t need church is Satan, who wants to isolate you.
2. Your roots produce fruit.
Jeremiah 17:8b (NLT)
Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit.
Two times that your faith is tested – in the heat and in the drought. When it’s hot and when it’s dry.
An evergreen is not shaken by the heat and the drought – still producing fruit.
Spiritual fruit is not just for you and neither is church!
- Love overflows
- Joy spreads
- Peace is attractive
- Kindness blesses
- Faithfulness strengthens relationships
You can’t grow until you get planted – trees don’t grow overnight!