Jesus is Not Indifferent
What Would Jesus Undo? Week 1
Pastor Kris Freeman
Sunday, July 15, 2018
Scripture: Revelation 3:15-17 (NLT)
15 “I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! 16 But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! 17 You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.
This scripture is the SEVENTH letter to the churches of Revelation to the church at Laodicea.
- Wealthy city destroyed by an earthquake 35 years earlier
- Rebuilt, very urban and culture focused, very luxurious
- Had an inadequate water supply for the city
- Piped in water from Colossae (mountain cold) and Hireapolis (a hot spring)
- By the time the water got to Laodicea it was LUKEWARM.
Lukewarm in a Biblical sense is SPIRITUALLY STALE or depressingly detached.
God said INDIFFERENCE doesn’t just break his heart, it makes him sick at his stomach.
Jesus was not INDIFFERENT and he never intended for the church to be that way!
The problem is, Laodicea has often been compared to the MODERN CULTURE church.
- Material issues (we chase what’s comfortable)
- Physical issues (we do what feels good)
- Emotional issues (we run from drama and cling to “feel good”)
- Spiritual issues (we are skin deep and “Word” shallow)
The modern American church – let’s be honest – is MOODY and TEMPERMENTAL!!!
Any level of discomfort pushes us AWAY from our purpose and not toward it!
TWO CAUSES OF SPIRITUAL INDIFFERENCE
It’s the I’M GOOD mentality.
“You say I am rich, I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing, but you do not realize…”
What do you have?
- Coffee (the way I want it, Netflix, Amazon Prime, My phone, A snuggy (does anyone still have that thing?, Capital freedom, Choice
And meanwhile God is over here like STICK TO SOMETHING that matters!!!
2. Distractions all Around us
But the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. – Mark 4:19
Bills to pay, places to go, vacations to take, selfie time!, dishes, laundry, recital, practice, oil change, work, PTA, sports, college football. Come on right???
And then, we have a RIDICULOUS habit of taking up causes that are POPULAR and ignore things that are URGENT.
“Feeling numb isn’t the absence of feeling—but the sensation of feeling too much at once.” Unknown
Most Christians want a little bit of Jesus – JUST ENOUGH to make us feel better!
- We are more concerned with impressing people than living for God.
- We’re obsessed with life on earth instead of eternity
- We rationalize sin and do not live in fear of God
- We believe in Jesus but rarely share our faith
- We only turn to God when we need him
- We’re not much different than the world
REIGNITE THE SPIRITUAL FIRE
Every day, do something that requires FAITH.
Without faith, it is impossible to please God!
It’s better to hurt with a purpose than exist without one!
I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference. Rev 3:19 NLT (Faith)
REBUILD THE LIST
- Be more concerned with what God thinks of you. Ask him!
- Live for what lasts rather than what doesn’t.
- Instead of rationalizing sin, confess it.
- Be bold in Spirit.
- Talk to God daily, and know that He is sufficient.
- Be different – you are a follower not a fan!
20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. Rev 3:20