Every Ingredient of the Recipe
The Family Circus Week 2
Pastor Kris Freeman
Sunday. June 10, 2018
Scripture: Psalm 34:1-10 (NLT)
I will praise the Lord at all times. I will constantly speak his praises. 2 I will boast only in the Lord; let all who are helpless take heart. 3 Come, let us tell of the Lord’s greatness; let us exalt his name together. 4 I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears. 5 Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces. 6 In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened; he saved me from all my troubles. 7 For the angel of the Lord is a guard; he surrounds and defends all who fear him. 8 Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him! 9 Fear the Lord, you his godly people, for those who fear him will have all they need. 10 Even strong young lions sometimes go hungry, but those who trust in the Lord will lack no good thing.
Last week we discussed having a family that is hungry for righteousness.
What did your family say they were thankful for this week?
Sometimes, I get hungry for things which take a LONG TIME to make.
In the church and the family, these are the things that take a long time to develop:
– A sense of community
– A movement of discipleship
– A life of worship
– A structure of stability
It’s like a RECIPE – you need the right ingredients, the right mixture and the right TEMPERATURE.
My family is like yours, we are a mixed bowl of different gifts, abilities and talents all molded together for a common purpose.
Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/3 cup sweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat to 350, grease pan and spread, bake 25-30 minutes
And don’t forget some recipes have a few nuts!
The recipe is like a model of the BODY which makes up the church.
- Butter – the liquid fat of the recipe provides TEXTURE. Every family and church needs texture. Texture represents the people who are the substance of the family and the church.
- Sugar – the sweetness. Every family needs those sweet people who love bigger than their body and all churches need people who can love unconditionally like Jesus.
- Eggs – the egg is an interesting ingredient. It’s full purpose is not revealed until it’s broken. We love broken people, we are just not satisfied that you stay that way.
- Vanilla – the vanilla extract is for flavor, but what it does is bring out the savory elements of the other ingredients. If you are vanilla, you make others better!
- Cocoa – the diversity, color, culture and style of the recipe comes from a powdery substance that once mixed and heated takes its full place. Families which are diverse and whole are so beautiful!
- Flour – the foundation. Nothing rises and gets full without the flour. You need foundation people in every relationship, family and church. They are the cornerstones.
- Salt – the preservation. Everybody thinks salt is about flavor. That’s just a small part of it! The salt makes everything in the dough stronger, thicker and more likely to stick together. It also slows down the conflict of chemical reactions in the recipe. The salt is such an important role because in your church, the salt people hold everything together in crisis, and bring flavor in success!
But did we FORGET an ingredient?
You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb 14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. 15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. 16 You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. (Psalm 139:13-16 NLT)
There are SPECIAL parts of God’s kingdom that don’t seem to fit in, but are so important.
NUTS come in all shapes, varieties and ways. And you can be a little off, and still have a place!
8. The most important thing about the additive to the recipe is it does for it what NOTHING ELSE can do.
You never think you need it – until it’s NOT THERE.
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. (Romans 8:28 NLT)
Once you apply the heat (PRESSURE) then you reveal the PURPOSE.
You are a part of this family, and you BELONG.